WHAT IS GLOBAL LOGISTICS?
It is the management of products and information about the products from one place to another, starting from the time they are produced until they reach the consumer. It includes coordination of information about inventory, shipping, materials handling, production, packaging, transportation, distribution, storage and security of products.
As you can see, it is very broad and has many components. There are several types of jobs in this field at the supervisory and managerial levels. Skill sets required for success in this field include:
- Managing relationships and focusing on customers
- Planning, organizing and solving problems
- Negotiating and managing conflict
- Collaborating with virtual, multinational teams
- Being accountable, responsible and politically savvy
- Being results oriented
- Thinking strategically and managing risk
- Having environmental and social awareness
- Knowing social media and related communications technology and channels
- Knowing how to interact with non-commercial organizations such as governments and NGOs.
WHY SHOULD YOU CONSIDER STUDYING GLOBAL LOGISTICS?
There is a worldwide shortage of qualified employees to work in the global logistics field and the growth of this field is projected to increase over the next ten to fifteen years. Having an advanced degree in the field and also a diverse background of cultures and languages will be advantageous in finding employment in this dynamic field.
WHERE CAN YOU STUDY GLOBAL LOGISTICS?
VIU’s School of Business has an MBA program with a concentration in Global Logistics. The core business courses cover communication, accounting and finance, project and cost management, organizational behavior, marketing, statistics and strategic management. The Global Logistics concentration provides specific training in sourcing and logistics, import and export, business law and ethics and operations management.
WHEN CAN YOU START?
In Fall semester 2018 (which begins on August 28), you can enroll in the Global Sourcing and Logistics course (MBA 628) which provides a comprehensive overview of the field and will introduce you to a variety of issues handled by logistics professionals. The course meets on Monday evenings from 6:20 to 9:10 pm.
Stay tuned for the next blog with more information about this course, the instructor, guest speakers and field trips scheduled!!