Posted on: November 21, 2017

Dr. Poussaint Shares Thoughts on Mentoring

What is Mentoring?

The role of a mentor is to help guide you to reach your personal and professional goals in life.  A mentor should be helpful, engaged, have regard and concern for other people, and be able to provide sound advice.

Who mentors?

Some people choose their supervisors, religious leaders, teachers, or those who they deem are successful.  Everyone should have a mentor.  Even President Obama has one – Dr. Charles Ogletree, a legal theorist who taught Barack and Michelle at Harvard Law School.

Personal Success with Mentoring

Having a mentor should be a positive experience.  A mentor encouraged me to earn a doctorate degree.  Dr. Frank had been watching my work as a volunteer at the university for several years and one day during an art event, he pulled me to the side and told me that I have a bright future in academia, but I needed to get my doctorate.  I told him that if he could help me get funding, I would love to.  At that moment, I recruited him to be my mentor.  Here is someone, who had been looking out for me and I did not even know it.  About four years later, at commencement, as I was approaching the graduate faculty to get hooded in my doctoral regalia, I so happen to line up right in front of Dr. Frank.  He said you did it!  It was a powerful moment as we hugged and cried tears of joy.

Learn more about our program at http://www.viu.edu/sb!