Hey, Graduates! Your 2017 Commencement Ceremony is only days away. To ensure you are prepared for graduation we have prepared this ceremony checklist for you.
For those unavailable to attend, a live feed of the commencement ceremony is available on VIU’s website at www.viu.edu.
This year’s graduation theme is, “Finding inspiration in the world around you .” Feel free to share your pictures and good wishes to the graduates on social media with the hashtag #VIUClassof2017.
- Pick up your graduation tickets from the VIU Student Affairs Office.
To pick up your graduation tickets you must show your Student ID. You are able to get a max of three tickets per graduate. If you are out of town and need someone else to pick up your tickets, you must provide a note with a picture of your Student ID in order to get these tickets.
- Still need regalia?
If you did not order your regalia, we have regalia at the Student Affairs office. Please bring a credit card to process the payment. It will be first come, first serve. Remember, if you do not have regalia, you are unable to walk across the stage.
- Dress appropriately
Gentlemen are recommended to wear a suit and tie under their gown. Dark pants and classy shoes slacks will usually suffice. If you want to wear a business casual attire, please check out our post on Business Casual vs. Business Professional Dress that can guide you.
There is a bit more attire options for ladies. Women are suggested to wear semi-formal dress and team a nice blouse with a nice skirt or pants. Consider wearing a low heel, please know that new fancy and/or high heels may convert your big day celebration into a “pain”. Keep the dark color scheme of the gown in mind too – bright colors may be shown through your dark gown.
- Instruct your guests
The graduation ceremony starts promptly at 2 pm. All parents and guests should arrive at the graduation venue prior to the start of the graduation ceremony. The dress code for guests is business casual.
Remember: Do not bring any personal items with you into the auditorium because you cannot carry them in the procession. Professional photographers will be taking pictures throughout the ceremony. Please refrain from standing up and taking pictures during the ceremony out of respect for your fellow audience members.
Important Commencement Information
- Arrive at the George Mason University’s Center for the Arts Building at 4373 Mason Pond Dr, Fairfax, VA 22030 at on Saturday, May 6, 2017, at 11:30 am.
- Parking is located in parking lot k (free) or there is a paid parking garage next to the performing arts center.
- At 10:30 am the ticket will call booth will open allowing 1 ticket per person.
- Graduate lineup starts at 11:30 am if graduates are not in line by 1:50 pm graduates are unable to participate in the ceremony. The ceremony duration is 2 hours (2:00 to 4:00 pm).
- Have your cap with the tassel, gown, and hood (tassel on the right).
- Food & drinks are not allowed.
- Guests can be seated beginning at 1:15 pm, doors will close promptly at 2 pm for the beginning of the ceremony.
- Immediately following the ceremony, VIU backdrops will be available to take pictures with your fellow graduates, faculty, and family.
- For more information, please visit the Commencement Ceremony Page: http://www.viu.edu/students/services/commencement-ceremony.html