In order to create community engagement opportunities for VIU employees that are meaningful, purposeful, and help those in need (and, of course, to enrich and inspire the lives of our employees) VIU is now offering its employees time off to volunteer. The volunteer time off is available to be used immediately. Below are more details about the new policy.
Amount of Time
All regular full-time employees can volunteer up to eight (8) hours per calendar year with a 501(c)(3) nonprofit or its U.S. equivalent in accordance with VIU’s giving and volunteering guidelines.
· Employees will be paid at their normal pay rate for the volunteer hours taken.
· Time off can be taken in whole for a day or in one-hour increments spread across multiple efforts.
· VTO is refreshed at the beginning of each calendar year and cannot be accrued or carried-over into the following year.
· Unused VTO is not paid out upon an employee’s termination.
· Usage of this time does not affect PTO accrual or usage.
All full-time regular employees of VIU are eligible to participate in this program after 90 days from date of hire.
· The employee must be in good standing. An employee may not be on a PIP at the time of a request.
· The employee must provide reasonable notice to his/her supervisor and work demands can take priority over the VTO request.
· Step 1 – Employees must put a request for VTO in Paylocity for their supervisor’s approval at least one week before the requested time off.
· Step 2 – Employees must complete the VTO Request Form and submit to Human Resources for approval.
· Step 3 – Approval is at the discretion of the employee’s supervisor and HR.
· Employees participating in VIU-sponsored volunteer events do not need to use VTO hours to participate in these events.
· VTO may not be used for organizations that discriminate based on race, color, age, gender, religious creed, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, childbirth, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition or genetic information, or political affiliation.
· VIU reserves the right to revoke approval if it is felt that the employee is misusing the program.
· This policy may be modified, suspended, or terminated at the sole discretion of VIU at any time, for any reason.