Starting college in a new city and a new country can be scary and overwhelming, but you are not alone. Virginia International University is here to help students make the most of their experience and education. We’ve put together this list of 5 quick tips to help you settle in and make the most of your time at VIU.
- There’s no place like home. And that’s ok! To help ease this transition, one of the best things to do is to get out, meet new people and join student activities. VIU offers many different clubs and activities from sports, volunteer opportunities, talent events, and more! Learn more about all the student clubs by contacting Student Affairs at email@example.com. Don’t be afraid to branch out of your comfort zone and join a club or activity that is new to you. You’ll never know who you will meet or what you will learn.
- Take advantage of VIU’s on-campus resources. The university has a host of on-campus resources to help students from academics to beyond. VIU offers a library, computer labs, Career Services, a student union, International Student Services, and more. Take a few minutes prior to your semester beginning to become familiar with where these resources are located.
- Explore. VIU is located in Northern Virginia (Nova), less than an hour outside of Washington D.C., and about an hour from the Shenandoah National Forest. Everyone needs a break from classes and studying. Get out and explore everything that Nova and the US Capital has to offer.
- Budget. Budgeting isn’t the most fun thing in the world, but it is necessary to stay on track financially. Start a budget to help track your finances, there are many free websites that can help build the perfect budget to meet your needs. VIU advises students to understand what money is needed for education, supplies, rent, and other necessities.
- Find a quiet place. As a new student, you’ll be surrounded by people; roommates, students, neighbors, etc. Find a space just for yourself to decompress, breathe, and just clear your mind. Local parks, a quiet coffee shop, or just a walk will help you unwind when you need a small break. If all else fails, budget for a pair of noise-cancelling headphones.