We will see you all at our commencement ceremony On May 5th at 5:00 pm Woodson High School, located at 9525 Main Street, Fairfax, VA! We are writing you this email with some important reminders:
1. You must arrive at Woodson High School no later than 5:00 PM on the day of the ceremony! Use Gate # 18 where you will see our welcome banner and volunteers to assist you.
2. For information on directions & transportation, as well as services offered at the venue, check the website:http://www.viu.edu/students/services/commencement-ceremony/commencement-event-details.html
3. If you need assistance with directions on the day of commencement, you may reach us by telephone at (703) 507-4235. If your call is not answered, please leave a message with your phone number and we will call you back as soon as we can.
4. YEARBOOKS will be distributed on Wednesday, April 30th from 3:00 pm to 6:00 pm and Thursday and Friday from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm at the VIU Bookstore. Yearbooks are FREE for graduating students, so be sure to pick up your copy at the VIU Bookstore.
5. If you ordered a cap and gown, you may pick it up in the new VIU Bookstore located at 3949 Pender Drive, Suite 105 (next to the Pender campus) starting on Wednesday, April 30th from 3:00 pm to 5:00 pm, Thursday and Friday from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. If you are not able to pick up your cap and gown, you may collect it at the venue on the day of commencement. They will be available at the name tag table in the hallway.
6. Please inform your family and friends not to move from their seats during the ceremony. We understand their excitement but it should not disturb the ceremony. We depend on you to explain that to them since we may not know the languages they speak.
7. We will have at least 2 photographers taking pictures for each one of you! There will be a photographer at the commencement ceremony to take photos of the entire event. The photographer will also capture photos of each graduate as he or she receives a diploma and walks across the stage. These photos will be made available to graduates 15 days after the commencement ceremony. Because you will have access to these photos, friends and family members should not leave their seats to take photos out of courtesy for other guests and the graduates. We ask that all graduates make their guests aware of this policy.
8. Graduates AND guests, please keep your cell phones on silent throughout the ceremony.
9. You may keep your belongings in a classroom that we have reserved at the venue.
10. We will have a first aid box and Gatorade at the VIU bookstore booth in the hallway, in the event of an emergency.
11. Do not get up from your seats during the ceremony unless asked. If you need assistance ask a staff member or volunteer to assist you. Make sure to visit the restroom before the ceremony because you will be sitting in the auditorium for 2 hours!
12. When you walk in the auditorium during processional, please remain standing in front of your seat. The emcee will tell you when to sit down.
13. During the ceremony you will stand for the anthem and pledge.
14. After the ceremony, please walk right back in the auditorium for group pictures!
15. Buy gifts/cards/balloons/flowers/snack and VIU promotional item at the ceremony!
The VIU Bookstore will sell VIU items (shirts, pens, notebooks, snack etc.) and other customized VIU gifts including balloons. Payment should be made in cash.
16. Check the commencement webpage for more tips (including how to wear your cap and gown), event schedule & speaker information, transportation options, and other details regarding the commencement ceremony.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Student Affairs at firstname.lastname@example.org or via telephone at (703) 591-2760 x310, 340, or 345.
Congratulations on your achievements, and we look forward to seeing you on Sunday, May 5 at the ceremony!