On March 17, 2012 the Rock N Roll Marathon Series came to Washington, DC.  The Rock N Roll Race series travels around the country and allows participants to run in either a half- or full marathon. Additionally, the tour goes to parts of Europe as well. Perhaps, what is really interesting about the marathon series is that they partner with various well-known charities, including the ASPCA, St. Jude’s, Lukemia and Lymphoma Society, and Susan G. Komen to name a few.  Since 1998, these charities have raised more than $266 million for their causes through the Rock N’ Roll Marathon Series! The race came to Washington this past March, and a few of VIU’s staff members were eager to be involved! Staff members Emily Leighty, Yobi Park, & Prashish Shrestha all participated in the half marathon on the 17th. Here is what they had to say about their experience in running 13.1 miles!

“The race was a great experience.  We were lucky enough to be running on a perfect spring day, and the course took us by some of the monuments and other D.C. landmarks.  What means the most to me is that I completed something I can really be proud of.  When we signed up for the event in October I couldn’t make it one mile – let alone thirteen!  This was a test of determination and endurance and dedication.  Another special part of it for me was getting to know my co-workers and teammates better.  Yobi and Prashish are both talking about doing it again; I haven’t decided yet if I will let them convince me to do the same.  There has also been talk of signing up for a full marathon (crazy) or climbing Mount Everest (crazier).  I’m hoping these ideas are the result of the adrenaline high.” – Emily Leighty 

“I didn’t expect that many people would be running in the race,but it was packed with people starting at the metro station from very early in the morning. The weather was nice and the route was even nicer. The most impressive thing to me was the crowd who was cheering, clapping and giving high-fives for us. It was also St. Patrick’s day so people were dressed funny which made me laugh several times while running in the race. When I started running, I knew my knees that had been hurt since a week before weren’t completely healed so I was worried so much if I could even complete the race, which could be embarrassing and merely an excuse not to run to others. I ran very slowly for the first 3 miles and realized that my knees were getting more impact than running a little faster. So, I stopped and drank a bottle of 5-Hour Energy that I was holding from the start. It was at Constitution Ave. right where the Washington Monument stands. Then, I was able to run almost 5-6 miles with a few stops as I was supposed to. But after the 10-mile point I almost walked to the finish line. Nevertheless of my finishing time and how I finished at the end, this experience will be remembered forever!” -Yobi Park

“I didn’t think I could have so much fun getting up at 5:30 in the morning just to go run 13.1 miles, but I had a blast! I stood at the race line with 24 thousand other racers- it was like a big festival and a crowd with full energy. The course was within DC area, though it was dogged with hills, the beauty of historical area slipped my mind from fatigue. This was my first half marathon, and I felt a great sense of accomplishment when I crossed the finish line in 1:59, though I did think I could die at the 13th mile when I pulled a muscle in my right leg.  On that moment I thought ‘I will never do this again,’ but now when I think about entire race, I enjoyed it so much and would like to do similar races again with better time performance.” – Prashish Shrestha

On behalf of VIU, I just want to say how inspired and proud of each of you we are! You have accomplished something truly amazing, and have served as an inspiration to all of your coworkers and every member of the VIU family! Here’s to the next 13.1 miles, and each one thereafter!

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,